9 Signs You Need Window Replacement
Windows are one of the most overlooked elements when it comes to home maintenance, but they play an important role in the overall comfort and energy efficiency of your home. When your windows start to deteriorate, they can affect your home’s energy efficiency and safety. In this blog post, we’ll look at the nine signs that indicate that your windows are past their prime and need to be replaced.
- Drafty Windows – Feel a cold breeze when you walk past your windows? It signifies a draft. Drafts occur when warm air inside your house escapes, and cold air from outside enters through the gaps or cracks in your windows. The solution is to replace them with new, energy-efficient windows that will keep your home comfortable and lower your energy costs.
- Condensation – If you notice condensation forming on or between the glass panes in your windows, it’s a sign of a broken seal. A broken seal causes energy loss, and it is an indication that it’s time for window replacement.
- Difficulty in Opening and Closing – If your windows are hard to open or close, it’s sign that their frames could be swollen or warped, which interferes with their operation. Windows that do not function properly are a safety hazard since they will not close completely, making your home vulnerable to break-ins.
- Foggy Panes – When foggy panes obscure the outside view, it’s usually an indication of excess moisture beading on the windows. This condition is a sign that your windows aren’t properly insulated. The issue can be solved by replacing the windows and installing new, double-paned models.
- Spike in Energy Bills – If your energy bills have gone up sharply in recent months, your windows could be to blame. New, energy-efficient windows help reduce energy bills since they let in less heat in the summer.
- Water Damage – If you spot water damage around your windows, it’s a sign that water is infiltrating and damaging the window frame. When you replace the windows, it’s necessary to ensure that you fix any water-damaged areas to avoid additional problems.
- Noise Pollution – Do you hear sounds that are supposed to be outside when you are inside? If the answer is yes, then your windows are not well insulated. New insulating windows will block outside noises, making your home quieter and more peaceful.
- Old and Outdated Windows – Considering the age of your windows can also help you determine if it’s time for replacement. Typically, older windows last around 15-20 years. Beyond this age, they start to wear out, expose your home to drafts and increase your energy costs.
- Aesthetics – While aesthetics alone shouldn’t be the only reason to replace your windows, faded, damaged, or warped frames can seriously impact the beauty of your home. Replacing these windows will improve your home curb appeal, and it increases your home’s resale value.
Keeping an eye on these nine signs will help you know when the time is right to replace your windows. When you’re ready for the upgrade, be sure to have a professional contractor handle the installation process. When you have quality, energy-efficient windows installed by a pro, it’s likely you’ll be more comfortable in your home and keep more money in your pocket in the long run.